Paul and I found out we were expecting our first child in May 2006. We were so excited!!! We found out it was boy that summer and couldn't have been more thrilled. Logan William was born on January 9, 2007 at 9lbs. 6oz.
When I was about 30 weeks pregnant as a working Mom we started to plan who would take care of Logan after I returned to work when he was 10 weeks old.
Paul's little Sister Kathy stepped up to the plate and wanted to Nanny for us. We thought this was a great situation. Logan could stay home and since Kathy had experience in childcare she was well qualified.
But something nagged at me as the weeks went on. I can't explain what it was but I worried about that situation and it just didn't feel right. I was worried to tell Paul because this was his Sister and he felt 100% confident in her as a care giver for our children. My Mommmy instinct on the other hand was on high alert as my delivery date neared.
Kathy stopped at our house one evening with some type of contagious skin infection that she could have transimitted to me or our baby. Thank goodness she didn't.
This was the boiling point for me. I just couldn't trust her. I sat down and cried too Paul, told him everything I had been feeling and the next day we started looking into daycares and found a spot open at one we liked.
I was relieved I am that we did that! My baby would be going to daycare and the best part was that MY little Sister worked there and could keep an eye on him.
We got settled into life as parents and loved every part of it. We welcomed another boy, Ethan into our family in 2009 and although Logan didn't like the idea he was now a big Brother.
For a long time Paul and I would only let my little Sister or my parents watch our boys. Most people thought we were crazy and over protective but we felt good about our decision.
As the boys got older though we started to wonder if we were crazy and should let go a little bit. Paul and I rarely did anything outside of the boys and we always felt guilty to ask my parents to watch them. So we started thinking about our options.
Paul once again brought up his Sister Kathy. She was a family member, had childcare experience and knew the boys. She seemed like a good fit but I was hesitant about it. Paul talked to me about it a lot and I finally gave in. In August of 2009 we had a friends Father pass away and both Paul and I wanted to attend the services. We thought about childcare and figured we would give Kathy a chance. I would take our second son Ethan with us because he was a baby and Logan would stay at home with Kathy.
We would only be gone for a couple of hours. Poor Logan cried his eyes out when we left. When we returned he still was not a happy camper which I thought was odd but didn't think too much of it.
So to get Kathy more acquainted with the boys we had her come over more often with us there. Logan just never took to Kathy and we always pushed him to be more involved with her. Looking back I now see that he just did that to make us happy.
We continued to use her as a babysitter for little shopping trips, dinners or late nights out with our friends. We never stayed gone for more than a couple of hours because something always pulled us back home as quick as we could. We also never left the house until Ethan was well asleep.
Everything was going great until October of 2009. That's when we started noticing Logan was having fluency problems and they just progressively got worse.
3 comments:
my thoughts, my prayers, my love and my hugs to you mandy...
You and your family are always in my thoughts and heart Mandy!
many hugs mandy.
Post a Comment